Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Meet the Teacher!

Cara over at The First Grade Parade is doing a Meet The Teacher linky party and I decided to join in the fun!

That's me, Ms. L. But you can call me Lori because I'm not really your teacher and we can totally be BFF's like that. I'm a twenty-something teacher who loves reading, learning, doing anything nerdy, and my pupp-a-rooni, Zoey.



The cutest pup, ever. End of story.

I've been teaching for 5 years (holy cow, where did time go?!). Two of those years were in resource/co-teaching in special education, grades 3 through 5, and the past three years have been in self-contained with students with severe emotional/behavior disabilities. I teach in a primary classroom. Currently I have all 2nd graders, but it's my first time having only one grade level and I'm totally loving it! My job is pretty ca-razy. Except this year it's been relatively sane. It's not unusual to have items being thrown while I'm teaching. Just sayin'. Not normal by any stretch of the imagination, but it's my life. Some people think that means I have the patience of a saint. But I really don't. At least not for most people. Just those under the age of 10 and with disabilities.

I graduated from Western Michigan University (Go Broncos!) with a BS (I just love saying BS.. I have a BS degree, ha!) in Special Education. I minored in Elementary Education, Math, and Science. I lived all of 10 miles from home while in college and never lived at home, but often came home for Sunday dinners and to do my laundry.

I'm currently working on my Master's in School Improvement/Leadership and I hope to one day become a principal.

And now on to the Q & A session:

Q: What would you be doing if you weren’t a teacher?
I would probably be doing something in HR, as that's what I did throughout college to make some extra money.
Q: What are your hobbies?
I enjoy cooking, reading, blogging, and shopping.

Q: When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher, then a lawyer, then a funeral director. Apparently everyone knew I was going to be a teacher because I was ALWAYS bossing the other kids around a daycare and forcing them to play school.
Q: What are your guilty pleasures?
Horrible reality t.v. including The Bachelor, Keeping up with the Kardashians, and RW/RR Challenges. It's horrible. Honestly. I also love me some celebrity magazines.

Q: What is your biggest fear?!
Clowns, bridges, and emergencies.

Q: When you’re on vacation, where do you like to go?
The beach. I love laying on the beach with a cold drink in hand!

Q: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's learning to dance in the rain.
I've been through a lot in the past year and a half and this quote has gotten me through some tough times. Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey.

Q: What do you value most in others?
Sincerity and work ethic. It's hard to take people seriously who don't work hard for what they have.
Q: If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass down to your kids, what would it be?
This is hard.. I suppose my enthusiasm for learning. That's lame, isn't it?

Q: If you could have lunch with anyone in the world….living or dead…who would it be?
My Dad. I just want one more day with him.

Now tell us one random thing about yourself:
I have a nickname that only a select few people can call me, Re. When I was little I couldn't say Lori, so I referred to myself as Re-Re. It was eventually shortened to Re. My parents and my brother call me Re, along with two high school friends. Beyond that, I simply won't allow it. My dad used to always spell it wrong (with an I, Ri) and I hated it.

Now it’s time for YOU to join the party!!!!  Here’s what you need to do:  Write a post titled “Meet The Teacher”.  Start with a brief “biography” and then copy & paste the Q&A {using your answers, of course!} 




4 comments:

Kristy said...

I love reality TV just as much! I also had to giggle that you hate clowns. :o) I'm not a fan either, but it just hit me as funny!
Kristy

Suzanne said...

Hey! We have the same FEAR! Bridges...EEK! Your puppy is A-DOR-A-BLE!!! Love it!

Ashley said...

I love Special Education and eventually want to end up there....This is my first year teaching and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've always had a heart for the kids with disabilities though...Loved your post! Your dog is super cute!!!

Jena Snowden said...

I found you through the Linky party. I love your blog. I am a total d-o-g lover. Go see my babies! http://1stgradewithmisssnowden.blogspot.com/
Love, Love, Love them!

-Jena