Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Yes, I'm all about love. I'm a hopeless romantic. But this holiday sort of makes me want to vomit. I know, I know I said it before. But it's just a made up holiday. I'd much prefer gifts of any sort on one of the other 364 days in the year. Especially flowers. You just paid twice as much. I digress.

I'm not a total scrooge. I celebrate with my kiddos. I shower them with lovin' and I tell them just how special they are. I normally don't get any lovin' back because, well, my kids are special and they don't usually return the favor. I'm cool with that. Obviously, I don't do it for the money, or the gratitude. (I do it for the blog content, duh)

Except I got the best gift ever today. Little Man walked in and gave me a big hug and said, "I've waited allllllll year to tell you this-- I love you!" Keep in mind, I've had this kid for three years. He's never said this before. Ever. Not even close. He has more of a love/hate relationship with me.

Then, in the middle of a melt down about his bad choices, his ADHD kicked in and he remembered he forgot to tell me about the bus incident, "Someone was making bad choices and tried to pick a fight with me. I knew you wouldn't be happy with that choice, so I ignored him let the adult take care of it. Aren't you SO proud of me!?"

YES! Yes! yes! I've been working with him for 3 years on ignoring others' inappropriate behaviors and staying out of trouble. He loves trouble, so he can't stay out of it. And he did it. And he knew I'd be proud of him.

I love my job.

1 comments:

LWLH said...

Awww what a sweet story! :)