Thursday, March 18, 2010

Things I've Learned..

As part of this journey through divorce, I've been keeping a list of things I've learned. I have been using it as an outlet to get out my feelings, but also as a reminder of who I am, where I've been, and where I'm going. As they say, it's all about the process.. So here's a list of things I have learned and jotted down.
  • It's okay to cry, even in public. I've really taken this one to heart, even crying in airports. Nice.
  • I am stronger than I think.
  • Sometimes you have to ask for help... and that's okay.
  • Lonely isn't so bad.
  • It's okay to have bad days. Someone shared this with me and I didn't believe it. Now I do.
  • Be where you are.
  • Life is full of choices.
  • Everything does happen for a reason, but it's my job to find the reason, accept it, and move forward.
  • You have to accept your faults.
  • People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Find the reason.
  • Sometimes you have to laugh, or you'll cry.
  • You can't always change how you feel, but you can choose your attitude.
  • My family loves me. No matter what.
  • Silence reallly can be golden.
  • I have to accept my faults.
  • A good friend will laught with you, cry with you, and tell you to suck it up when it's appropriate.
  • I have to accept my responsibility for the divorce.
  • A smile can go a long way.
  • I may not like the situation, but I can handle it.
  • No matter how hard I try to avoid my feelings, they will catch up with me.
  • It's okay to cry in the middle of the Atlanta airport. I'll never see those people again.
  • Every one can teach you something. Even 7 year olds.
  • Never underestimate the power of a hug.
  • A true friend accepts you for who you are and helps you become who you should be.
  • Friends can be found in the unlikeliest of situations.
  • Sometimes it's okay to give 50%, if that's all you have.
  • Everyone knows someone they want you to date. It's inevitable when you are single that they will try and set you up. Go out, have fun.
  • It is okay to be friends with guys. Sometimes they just get it.

 

3 comments:

LWLH said...

Great lessons to be learned.
A hard road I can imagine but your going to come out a stronger woman because of it.

Lori's Mom said...

Re - Those aren't just lessons to be learned by going through a divorce. Each one of the items you listed is a true life lesson. And I'm so proud of you for the woman you are!

siovhan said...

i really love this list.
and i believe those are all lessons we each need to learn.

bad days are okay. and it's fine to cry (even in public).