Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer? What Summer?

You know how everyone always says, "Oh! You're a teacher, you must LOVE having summer off! Must be nice to only work half of the year." And it's always in that tone that shouts "you're not really a professional.. I'm better than you.. you hang out with kids all day and just paint and watch movies, I know what you really do."
 
Newsflash! Teachers don't paint all day, movies are rarely played unless, of course, it relates directly to the curriculum, and we don't really work just half the year. In fact, most of us have summer jobs that usually involve something geared towards education. And if we aren't teaching, we're taking classes to become better teachers or we're doing work over the summer to prepare for the upcoming school year.
 
This summer? I was determined to take the summer off. I've taught summer school for 5 summers and haven't had a summer break, yet. Some of those summers I was taking classes and tutoring on top of teaching daily. I was SO looking forward to a summer off. I could see the beach, pool, or any other way to soak up the rays on a daily basis. Instead? I'm a director for special ed summer school. Don't get me wrong, it's a great gig. I'm the leader of the teachers, a role I would someday like to hold on a daily basis (ie- principal/assistant principal).
 
However, mornings like this make it tough to remember that I really do love my job. I had to scramble to find something to wear for red, white, and blue day.. spilled my frappuccino in the car, then couldn't get the lid off when I could actualy enjoy it. And, I keep being reminded of the fun vacations my friends are taking this summer.
 
Please, if you're a teacher.. don't tell me about the fun vacation you're taking or going to take. I'll be super jealous and might just want to punch you.

1 comments:

LWLH said...

I'm enjoying my summer but I rather be working..unemployment sucks.