Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Turbulence...

I promised I'd give you more information about being locked in a bathroom at 30,000 feet.

I made the 1.5 hour flight back from Michigan on Monday evening. Unfortunately for me, the guy next to me was out cold for most of the flight. I had to pee really badly, but I didn't want to disturb him. With about 25 minutes left in the flight, the pilot came over the speaker and let us know that we would begin our descent and that we should fasten our seat belts. Of course I was like... "Um.. perhaps he doesn't realize that I can't wait 25 minutes to land.. " Thankfully, the man next to me woke up.

Rather than wet my pants, I ran to the bathroom. During that time we hit some major turbulence. Of course I was in the bathroom...

After being thrown around four or five times while peeing (do you know how hard it is to pee while being rocked around? I'm thankful I don't have to stand to pee.. I probably would have peed all over the place!) I finally stood up, attempted to wash my hands, and peeked my head out. The flight attendant was shouting to me, "Stay in there ma'am! Sit down and hold on! It is unsafe for you to be moving. LOCK THE DOOR. Do not come out until I tell you to!"

I'm not quite sure what she wanted me to hold on to, but I sat down and waited it out. I was thrown about a few times, but she pounded on the door and told me to run straight to my seat. Of course, we hit some more turbulence and I landed on some dude, the floor, and the some guy's lap.

Next time I think I'll just pee my pants. Ladies with anxiety should never be stuck in a bathroom on a shaking plane. It's just not good.

9 comments:

Classy Fab Sarah said...

This is why I COMPLETELY dehydrate myself when I am going on a plane ride. Those damn bathrooms are scary, and then you have to worry about climbing over people to have to pee.

So I just suck up my bladder infection and hold it.

Glad you made it out ok!

LuLu said...

OMG...I have severe flight anxiety...good thing it was you and not me!

Anonymous said...

I can't bring myself to drink much of anything when I fly. I'm always afraid of something like this!

I'm proud of you, though, for making it through!:)

Kelly said...

I can only sit in an aisle seat because I know I always have to go to the bathroom! I learned the hard way when I had a window seat on the 6 hour flight from GA to CA and both the people were passed out!

Kate said...

I probably would have thrown up! How scary!

Lori's Mom said...

Didn't your mommy teach you to always go to the bathroom just before boarding a plane? I know I preached that line before car rides for years! Love ya!

Ashley said...

a few things..

are you ever going to reschedule our HH

AND

we're heading to HH tomorrow night, but down where if you're down this way.

LWLH said...

I can't stand to pee on planes..I would have been scared piss-less if I was you :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, read this. It sounds like you are very fortunate....

xoxox, Tom Sonday (tomsonday@aol.com)


Severe turbulence paralyzes woman in airplane restroom
AP
McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A South Texas woman remained paralyzed Monday after her Continental Airlines flight from Houston to McAllen experienced severe turbulence.

Three people in all were taken to a local hospital Saturday when Continental flight 511 landed in McAllen at 2:17 a.m., said Continental spokeswoman Mary Clark.

One passenger and a crew member were treated and released, Clark said.

But a 47-year-old woman who was in the airplane's restroom at the time of the turbulence suffered a fractured neck, Dr. Trey Fulp, an orthopedic spine surgeon at McAllen Medical Center told The McAllen Monitor Monday. The woman, who Fulp did not identify for privacy reasons, was thrown against the ceiling.

Doctors spent six hours operating on her back after the plane landed Saturday and planned to operate on her neck Monday. The back injury left her paralyzed from the chest down, Fulp said. It was unclear if the paralysis would be permanent, he said.

The flight's departure from Houston had been delayed, but the plane had begun its descent into McAllen when it encountered "sudden turbulence." The seat belt signs were illuminated at the time, Clark said.