Thursday, January 28, 2010

The One Like Miranda...

Don't know how many of you out there are Sex and the City fans, but I was quietly reminded of the episode when Miranda freaks out because she can't list her out-of-state parents as her emergency contact. I remember laughing about it when that episode aired. It was funny... and then it happened to me.

While at the doctor's office today, they went through the normal questions.. name, address, marital status, insurance, employer, etc. No biggie. I knew all those answers. She then got to the emergency contact and confirmed that the person I had listed was still a good contact. Um, no.. no my soon-to-be-ex-husband is not a good emergency contact. I told her my mother was a good contact. Gave the phone number and the address, no biggie. Until I got to the state part. The receptionists response? "Um, your mom is not a good emergency contact if she is out-of-state."

Excuse me? I'm already dizzy as can be (I have vertigo, apparently..) and feel like the room is spinning out of control and maybe, just maybe, I'll puke right on the floor without this bold statement that my mother is not a good emergency contact. But now? You've dissed my mama AND you're making me start to panic because WHO can be my emergency contact? Who do I pick? I have a lot of friends. A lot of good friends. How do I pick one to be my emergency contact? What if said friend doesn't have my mom's phone number (she will after I post this because darn it, I'm not going to panic about that tonight) and I'm laying in the middle of the hospital taking my very last breath and my mother doesn't even know?

Okay, yes.. a little dramatic... I got that. But, I was dizzy and the question caught me off guard. And I'm already secretly a little crazy about emergency situations. As in, I always need to know how to contact my parents when they are on vacation, at the grocery store, or sleeping. Or I feel the need to email my family my travel information when I go out of town. You know, just in case of an emergency. And don't even get me started about the panic that happens when I can't reach my mom on the phone. Cue dialing my dad. Then the house phone. Then mom's best friend. Right about that time? I'm ready to call every single local hospital to find out what happened. Only once has it been an emergency. And I still panic. Every.single.time.

So, single ladies out there- who is your emergency contact?

3 comments:

LWLH said...

Big Man's mine but before that I had a male roommate so he was mine.

Kelly said...

I know exactly how you feel about not being able to reach your mom! Here is my usual routine:

I try her cell, then the house, then her cell again, then the house again, then my dad, my little sister, back to her cell phone until FINALLY someone will pick up and tell me what they are doing!

It has never once been an emergency on my end, usually I am just calling to chat. But if I have no idea where they are and what they are doing I freak out and panic. I feel your pain!

Lori's Mom said...

1. Tell lady at doc's office that your Mom IS a good emergency contact. I'd break the speed of sound if there was a true emergency and I needed to get to you!
2. However, making sure that a couple of your friends have my cell phone and house phone number is a great idea.
3. You should give me their phone numbers cuz we both know that if there was a true emergency here, I'd be calling one of them to get to you - wherever you were - before I even called you.
4. And, if it's any consolation, I do the same little "freak out" if I can't reach you each and every time I call!! Perhaps you could teach Zoey how to dial the phone and talk to her Gram!!